Incredible Years® Group Leader Trainings Are Now Online!
Incredible Years® now offers Certified training in our Parent, Child, & Teacher programs in online sessions. These online workshops are delivered by 3 of our most experienced trainers: Incredible Years Program Developer Dr. Carolyn Webster-Stratton, Incredible Years Director of Implementation Dr. Jamila Reid, and licensed Social Worker and worldwide trainer in the Incredible Years programs, Kimblerlee Shoecraft, MSW.
How Incredible Years® Online Group Leader Trainings are Delivered
The Incredible Years® On-Line Group leader trainings are highly interactive, dynamic small-group training experiences (no more than 15 participants per training). Trainers use a combination of PowerPoint presentation, sample group videos, discussions, chat responses, large group role plays, and small group practices in breakout rooms to guide participants through the content and processes of learning how to conduct Incredible Years Groups for parents, teachers, or children. These trainings are modeled after our in person collaborative evidence-based training approaches and are accredited IY trainings, delivered by a small group of expert IY Trainers in Seattle. Following these certified trainings, participants can lead groups and are eligible to apply for accreditation in the programs that they train in. The online trainings are evaluated highly by participants: 95% of people who have attended have rated the training as above average or excellent!
As more group leaders are exploring how to deliver groups and individual services to families and children online during the Covid-19 period when meeting in person is not possible, families need the connections and support more than ever.
Incredible Years® offers a 2-hour webinar delivered by Program Developer Carolyn Webster-Stratton, PhD, on how to implement IY programs in an online format. This webinar is designed for group leaders previously trained in the in-person model, now implementing IY programs in an online format. Participants will learn how to assess whether a family is a candidate for an individual or group based on-line IY program based on their response to the Covid-19 pandemic, family needs, goals, and children’s responses. The webinar reviews how to help families prepare for these video tele-sessions. The group leaders will learn the format for delivering the program including how to use the IY methods in a video tele-session, IY principles of video-based discussions, role play practices, number and length of sessions, and engage parents in experiential learning. Pertinent topics are discussed related to coping with social distancing for the parents themselves as well as their children as well as stress management. This webinar also allows time for questions, discussion and problem solving related to the specific population being address with the webinar participants. Please contact Jamila Reid at Contact email@example.com for more information.
Download FAQs for Online Delivery: FAQ’s For Online Delivery Of IY Programs
See these two links for detailed tips on leading parent and child groups on-line.
What the On-line Group Leader Training Sessions Look Like
* Participants are recommended to have have an educational background in social work, psychology, psychiatry or behavioral health, nursing or teaching. Previous training in child development and social learning theory is highly recommended.
- Maximum of 15 participants who must have internet, and must log onto Zoom with a computer or tablet (smart phone not accepted)
- Sessions are 3 ¼ hours in length (with break): Basic Parent Training, Autism Parent Training, Teacher Classroom Management, and Child Trainings (5 sessions), Baby Program (4 Sessions), School Age Supplement and Home Coach Training (2 Sessions)
- Training is available in all Parent programs (Baby, Preschool, School Age, Autism), Classroom and Small Group Dinosaur Child Programs, and all Teacher Programs (TCM, Incredible Beginnings, Teacher Autism)
- Pre-training self-study expected before training starts Visit our Pre-Training Self-Study page.
- Participants must have leader manuals, books, and access to video vignettes
- Between sessions there are assigned reading and practice activities for participants
- Process of delivery is interactive, experiential, self-reflective and with some Zoom breakout room exercises
- Participants must have cameras on and microphones enabled and be present on-screen throughout training
- Participants evaluate every session
- Complete attendance is required to receive certificate of completion
- On-line training tries to incorporate as many of the Incredible Years in-person principles as possible
- Participants who receive on-line training are eligible to apply for certification in that program
More Information About Incredible Years® Training
The Incredible Years® workshops/trainings* are highly recommended. Becoming trained by an Incredible Years® certified trainer or mentor ensures group leaders will be trained to effectively deliver the Incredible Years® programs with fidelity.
*”Training” and “Workshop” are used interchangeably.
Training workshops are offered by Incredible Years® certified/accredited mentors and trainers. These accredited trainings are provided in the United States and around the world. Certified Incredible Years® trainers are also available to provide workshops at your agency.
Training participants for treatment groups should have a graduate degree in one of the following professions: social work, psychology, education, nursing, psychiatry, medicine, or have extensive experience working with families and children. For prevention groups, we recommend one leader have a graduate degree, and the second leader a bachelor’s level degree in a related field.
Preparing for a Training Workshop
Before attending the workshop be sure you have purchased the program curriculum and have previewed the manual and materials. This will ensure that you get the most from the training. We also offer self-study ‘getting started’ guides to help you prepare.Incredible Years Getting Started Guide (Parent Programs) Incredible Years Getting Started Guide (Child Programs)
Visit our Pre-Training Self-Study page for more tips on preparing for your training.
This page lists some material that prospective IY trainees can find on our web site that will help you prepare to get the most value out of your training workshop in Incredible Years programs. On this site you will find links to PowerPoint presentations of IY parent, child and teacher programs, logic models, fact sheets, preview videos, interviews with parents and teachers, sample video vignettes, videos with program developer, and key research summary papers.
We highly recommend you do this self-study model prior to the 3-day training workshop.
Experts in Action: Parent Group Leader Workshop Training Samples
These 8 DVDs (13 hours 24 minutes) are an opportunity for group leaders who are implementing the Incredible Years Parenting Program to see the developer discuss her theory and rationale for the collaborative methods and processes underlying the successful group delivery of this program. The DVD clips show Carolyn Webster-Stratton modeling how to mediate video vignettes, do benefits/barriers exercises, buddy buzzes, pull out principles, and set up role play practices. She explains how to work collaboratively with parents and tailor the program to the specific population being addressed so that it is meaningful and targeted at their goals. The DVDs are also for IY peer coaches in their work with new group leaders, IY mentors for review and study of their training workshops, and administrators and clinicians interested in the methods and content of the Incredible Years programs. View full description and view video clips from this program
View photos from previous trainings held all over the world! (Links to external site.)