A set of 7 Self-Administered manuals for the Incredible Years Teachers Classroom Management Series
For the Teacher Classroom Management Series we have developed a set of self-administered teacher manuals to go with each of the DVD topics. While it is highly recommended that teachers attend the authorized Incredible Years 6-day teacher workshop because of the collaborative learning, shared insights and emotional support provided by the teacher groups, there are times when this self-learning model can be beneficial. For example, this learning approach can be offered as a study option for use by teachers who do not have access to scheduled teacher workshops, or for make-up sessions if they miss one of the 6 workshop days. Teachers may also use this program for more in depth study of vignettes not shown during the workshop sessions. This program can be put in school libraries for teachers’ self-reflective learning completed either individually or ideally with teacher colleagues.
Tips for successful self-study include:
- Having a private place free of distractions and interruptions
- Setting aside a minimum of 45 minutes to view the books, one at a time (each book may take multiple sessions to finish viewing)
- When possible, do this self-learning with a teacher “buddy” to share ideas and support
- View video vignettes and pause to read questions in manual and discuss ideas
Use teacher handouts, brainstorms and buzzes to keep track of teacher thoughts, ideas and action plans
- Read handouts at end of each program and post blackboard notes to remind yourself of key points
- Do the suggested classroom activities whenever possible to reinforce concepts learned
- Plan time for reading the Incredible Teachers: Nurturing Children’s Social, Emotional, and Academic Competence book
- Set up personal goals after completing each book and complete the self-reflection inventory
- If you are doing this with a teacher coach, share your successes and seek consultation and support as needed.