Teacher Classroom Management Program
For groups of teachers working with children ages 3-8 years.
The Teacher Classroom Management program is a prevention program to strengthen teacher classroom management strategies, and promote children’s prosocial behavior and school readiness (reading skills). The program is intended for group leaders who plan to work with groups of teachers to promote these skills. It is divided into 6 full day workshops, spread out with time in between each workshop so that teachers have time to practice the new skills they are learning. The program has been shown in control group studies to reduce classroom aggression and noncooperation, and promote peer interaction, school readiness, and enjoyment with school activities. It focuses on ways teachers can effectively collaborate with and support parents’ school involvement, and promote home-to-school consistency. The Teacher Classroom Management Program is useful for teachers, teacher aides, school psychologists, and school counselors. There is another program, Incredible Beginnings, which is intended for Teachers and Child Care Providers of toddlers and preschoolers (ages 1–5).
- Workshop 1: Building Positive Relationships with Students
- Workshop 1b: Preventing Behavior Problems – The Proactive Teacher
- Workshop 2: The Importance of Teacher Attention, Coaching and Praise
- Workshop 3: Motivating Children Through Incentives
- Workshop 4 & 5: Decreasing Inappropriate Behavior
- Workshop 6: Emotional Regulation, Social Skills & Problem Solving
For more details, please see the program Content & ObjectivesTeacher Classroom Management Content and Objectives Teacher Program Logic Model
Teaching Pyramid® Poster (click to enlarge)
- Leader’s Manual
- DVD set (7 discs)
- Teaching Pyramid® Magnet
- Dina’s Wheel of Fortune Poster
- Incredible Teachers Book
- Teaching Pyramid® Poster
- Calm Down Thermometer Poster
- Teacher Stickers (6 rolls)
- School Rules Cards set
- “Show Me Five” Poster
View the Supplemental materials section to learn more about support items that enhance the programs. All Supplemental Materials can be purchased separately.
For the Teacher Classroom Management Series we have developed a set of self-administered teacher manuals to go with each of the DVD topics. While it is highly recommended that teachers attend the authorized Incredible Years 6-day teacher workshop because of the collaborative learning, shared insights and emotional support provided by the teacher groups, there are times when this self-learning model can be beneficial. For example, this learning approach can be offered as a study option for use by teachers who do not have access to scheduled teacher workshops, or for make-up sessions if they miss one of the 6 workshop days. Teachers may also use this program for more in-depth study of vignettes not shown during the workshop sessions. This program can be put in school libraries for teachers’ self-reflective learning completed either individually or ideally with teacher colleagues.
Tips for successful self-study include:
- Having a private place free of distractions and interruptions
- Setting aside a minimum of 45 minutes to view the books, one at a time (each book may take multiple sessions to finish viewing)
- When possible, do this self-learning with a teacher “buddy” to share ideas and support
- View video vignettes and pause to read questions in manual and discuss ideas
Use teacher handouts, brainstorms and buzzes to keep track of teacher thoughts, ideas and action plans
- Read handouts at end of each program and post blackboard notes to remind yourself of key points
- Do the suggested classroom activities whenever possible to reinforce concepts learned
- Plan time for reading the Incredible Teachers: Nurturing Children’s Social, Emotional, and Academic Competence book
- Set up personal goals after completing each book and complete the self-reflection inventory
- If you are doing this with a teacher coach, share your successes and seek consultation and support as needed.
Please see basic cost information provided below. This is meant to give a general overview of upfront and ongoing costs. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more particular questions regarding program & book discounts, training costs, etc.
Up Front Costs
Teacher Classroom Management Program: $1,425.00 Purchasing Information
Group Leader Training: $660 for 3-day training in Seattle OR host your own onsite training. See Workshop Information.
Book for teachers
Incredible Teachers: Nurturing Children’s Social, Emotional, and Academic Competence: $27.95 per copy (if purchasing between 2-99 copies)
Venue for leading groups
Be sure to plan for ongoing consultation by phone or in person for new group leaders. Consultation is conducted by certified Incredible Years Mentors and Trainers. This early support and feedback ensures the parenting groups are delivered with fidelity and are successful. Consultation Fee: $200/hour
Group Leaders are encouraged to apply for certification/accreditation, which promotes fidelity to the program by ensuring optimal outcomes. See Certification section for more details and information on pricing.
TCM, “Preventing Behavior Problems” Vignette 20 (Clip)
TCM, “Decreasing Inappropriate Behavior” Vignette 32 (Clip)
TCM, “Building Positive Relationships” Vignette S-1 (Clip)
TCM, “Preventing Behavior Problems” Vignette 35 (Clip)
TCM, “Decreasing Inappropriate Behavior, Part 2” Vignette 9 (Clip)
TCM,”Decreasing Inappropriate Behavior” Vignette 14 (Clip)