School Age Basic Program
For parents with children ages 6-12 years.
The School Age Basic parenting program strengthens parent-child interactions and attachment, reducing harsh discipline and fostering parents’ ability to promote children’s social, emotional, and academic development.
Parents learn how to:
- Monitor children after school
- Set rules regarding TV, computer, and drug use
- Support children’s homework
- Partner with teachers so that they can promote children’s academic, social, and emotional skills.
In the parenting groups, trained Incredible Years® facilitators use video clips of real-life situational vignettes to support the training and stimulate parenting group discussions, problem solving, and practice exercises.
The School Age Basic program is available in USB format. If you’re purchasing a new curriculum set you have the option to choose either the DVD or USB format. If you already own the program you have an option, for a limited time, to upgrade your DVD set to the USB format. We just ask that the original DVD set be returned to IY along with an upgrade fee of $200.
Features of Flash Drive format:
Language Versions: English, Spanish, Chinese, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish
See our tips for playing DVDs
- Program 9 – Promoting Positive Behaviors in School Age Children
- Program 10 – Reducing Inappropriate Behaviors in School Age Children
- Program 8 – Supporting Your Child’s Education
For more details, please see the program Content & Objectives:
View the Parenting Pyramid® Poster (click image below)
School Age Home Coaching – Coaches and Parents Manual – This one-on-one parent-coach model is an option for use if parents cannot attend parent groups because of schedule conflicts, or if a group program is not available in the time needed to start an intervention with a family.
- 7 DVD set (6 total hours) -or- 1 USB drive – videos shown in 12-20 weekly 2-hour group sessions.
- Comprehensive leader manual (consisting of over 800 pages of “how to”, including leader questions for discussion, vignette scripts, parent home activities and weekly “refrigerator notes” for parents (reminders for the week)
- Book: The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 3-8 Years (3rd Edition, by Carolyn Webster-Stratton)
- Book: Collaborating with Parents to Reduce Children’s Behavior Problems: A Book for Therapists Using the Incredible Years Programs (by Carolyn Webster-Stratton)
- Piggy Bank Refrigerator Magnet
- Parenting Pyramid® Poster (illustrates how the series first builds a positive foundation of relationship skills before discipline strategies)
*This program is also available in a Spanish/English combo package – contact us for details.
Supplemental materials support and enhance the program; they may be purchased separately:
- Home Coach Self-Administered Manuals for School Age Basic
- Incredible Parents Conversation Card Game
- Wally’s Detective Books (set of 4)
- Incredible Years Stickers
- Build Up Your Bank Account Piggy Bank Poster
- Invest Positive Time Pig Timer
- Experts in Action: Parent Groups Program
- Experts in Action: Cross-Cultural Parent Groups Program
- Experts in Action: Parent Home Coach Sample
- Experts in Action: Parent Program Facilitator Training
- Tool Kit Poster
Please see basic cost information provided below. This is meant to give a general overview of upfront and ongoing costs. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more particular questions regarding program & book discounts, training costs, etc.
Up Front Costs
School Age Basic Program: $1,440 (Purchase)
Group Leader Training: $690 for 3-day training in Seattle OR host your own onsite training. See Workshop Information.
Books for parents
The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 3-8 Years (3rd Edition). Cover price $24.95 per copy ($23.50 if purchasing 10-99 copies)
Venue for leading groups
Be sure to plan for ongoing consultation by phone or in person for new group leaders. Consultation is conducted by certified Incredible Years® Mentors and Trainers. This early support and feedback ensures the parenting groups are delivered with fidelity and are successful. Consultation Fee: $210/hour
Group Leaders are encouraged to apply for certification/accreditation, which promotes fidelity to the program by ensuring optimal outcomes. See Certification section for more details and information on pricing.