School Age Basic Program
For parents with children ages 6-12 years.Order this program set!
Language Versions: English, Spanish, Chinese, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish
The School Age Basic parenting program strengthens parent-child interactions and attachment, reducing harsh discipline and fostering parents’ ability to promote children’s social, emotional, and academic development.
Parents learn how to:
- Monitor children after school
- Set rules regarding TV, computer, and drug use
- Support children’s homework
- Partner with teachers so that they can promote children’s academic, social, and emotional skills.
In the parenting groups, trained Incredible Years® facilitators use video clips of real-life situational vignettes to support the training and stimulate parenting group discussions, problem solving, and practice exercises.
- Program 9 – Promoting Positive Behaviors in School Age Children
- Program 10 – Reducing Inappropriate Behaviors in School Age Children
- Program 8 – Supporting Your Child’s Education
For more details, please see the program Content & Objectives:
View the Parenting Pyramid® Poster (click image below)
School Age Home Coaching – Coaches and Parents Manual – This one-on-one parent-coach model is an option for use if parents cannot attend parent groups because of schedule conflicts, or if a group program is not available in the time needed to start an intervention with a family.
- 7 DVD set (6 total hours) shown in 12-20 weekly 2-hour group sessions
- Comprehensive leader manual (consisting of over 800 pages of “how to”, including leader questions for discussion, home activities, and interpretation of DVD vignettes)
- Weekly “refrigerator notes” for parents (reminders for the week)
- Home activities for School-Age Basic Series
- Book: The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 2-8 Years (by Carolyn Webster-Stratton)
- Book: Collaborating with Parents to Reduce Children’s Behavior Problems: A Book for Therapists Using the Incredible Years Programs (by Carolyn Webster-Stratton)
- Piggy Bank Refrigerator Magnet
- Parenting Pyramid® Poster (illustrates how the series first builds a positive foundation of relationship skills before discipline strategies)
*This program is also available in a Spanish/English combo package – contact us for details.
Supplemental materials support and enhance the program; they may be purchased separately:
- Home Coach Self-Administered Manuals for School Age Basic
- Incredible Parents Conversation Card Game
- Wally’s Detective Books (set of 4)
- Incredible Years Stickers
- Build Up Your Bank Account Piggy Bank Poster
- Invest Positive Time Pig Timer
- Audio Book: The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 2-8 Years (15 chapters on 8 CDs)
- Experts in Action: Parent Groups Program
- Experts in Action: Cross-Cultural Parent Groups Program
- Experts in Action: Parent Home Coach Sample
- Experts in Action: Parent Program Facilitator Training
- Tool Kit Poster
Please see basic cost information provided below. This is meant to give a general overview of upfront and ongoing costs. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more particular questions regarding program & book discounts, training costs, etc.
Up Front Costs
School Age Basic Program: $1,370 (Purchase)
Group Leader Training: $550 for 3-day training in Seattle OR host your own onsite training. See Workshop Information.
Books for parents
The Incredible Years: A Troubleshooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 2-8 Years: $17.95 per copy (if purchasing between 2-99 copies)
Venue for leading groups
Be sure to plan for ongoing consultation by phone or in person for new group leaders. Consultation is conducted by certified Incredible Years® Mentors and Trainers. This early support and feedback ensures the parenting groups are delivered with fidelity and are successful. Consultation Fee: $175/hour
Group Leaders are encouraged to apply for certification/accreditation, which promotes fidelity to the program by ensuring optimal outcomes. See Certification section for more details and information on pricing.
Once Group Leaders are certified, they are eligible for training as an Incredible Years® Peer Coach to support to new group leaders as well as teachers. Coaching for teachers involves classroom observations and individual teacher and coach meetings. See Incredible Years Peer Coach Certification for more details.