Experts in Action – Self-Study Tools for Group Leaders
Group leaders/clinicians/teachers who have received the initial training workshop for the Small Group Dinosaur Treatment or the Classroom Dinosaur Prevention Programs will find these programs an invaluable resource for furthering their group leadership skills. These DVDs can be used for self-study or viewed with other group leaders and used as a trigger for discussion of group leadership skills.
Visit our Purchasing page for pricing and ordering information.
Experts in Action: Dina Dinosaur (Small Group Therapy) Sessions
These 7 DVD videos (over 8 hours) show certified therapists (Dr. Webster-Stratton and Dr. Reid) conducting actual small group child treatment groups using the Dina Dinosaur Social, Emotional and Problem Solving Program. These videos show examples of group leaders conducting each of the 7 programs including: Rules, School Behavior, Feelings Literacy, Problem Solving Steps, Anger Management, Friendship Skills and Terminating the Sessions. The children in the groups range in age from 4-8 years and have a variety of problems including Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Social Withdrawal, and Developmental Delays.
A leader’s guide includes questions to think about in regard to the group leader’s skills as well as Dr. Webster-Stratton’s interpretation of the collaborative leadership skills being used by leaders with the children.
These sessions illustrate how to work with groups of children with a variety of problems and how to make the small group activities and practice exercise developmentally appropriate. In addition, group leaders demonstrate effective group management strategies such as praise, incentive systems, distractions, redirections, use of differential attention and ignore for targeted negative behaviors, Time Out for aggression, and logical consequences. Behavior plans are developed for each child in the group.
Experts in Action: How to Implement Dina Classroom Curriculum Preschool/Kindergarten Version
This 4 DVD video set (3 hours) is to be used as a helpful self-learning module to help teachers learn how to implement the Dinosaur Curriculum lesson plans in the classroom with their students. It illustrates how to implement the program using the four steps — planning, presenting (in circle time), practicing (in small groups) and promoting (throughout the day).
A leader’s guide is focused on anger management and feelings, plus sample lessons:
- Strategies to Promote Problem-Solving and Anger Management, Part 1: Presenting and Practicing
- Strategies to Promote Problem-Solving and Anger Management, Part 2: Promoting
- Strategies to Promote Social Skills: A typical day
- Sample Year One Lessons: Problem Solving and Anger Management
Experts in Action: How to Implement Dina Classroom Curriculum Primary Grades Version
This set of 8 DVD videos (6 hours) offer how-to, plus sample sessions and a leader’s guide. These videos can be used for self-study or viewed with other group leaders and used as a trigger for discussion of group leadership skills. Focused on social skills and problem solving:
- Part one: Understanding and Detecting Feelings
- Part two: Dina Dinosaur Teaches how to do your Best in School
- Part three: Detective Wally Teaches Problem Solving Steps
- Part four: Tiny Turtle Teaches Anger Management
- Part five: Molly Manners Teaches how to be Friendly
- Sample Year one lessons: Problem Solving and Anger Management;
- Sample Year two lessons: Problem Solving Part 1; Problem Solving Part 2; Friendship
Emotion Regulation in Preschool: Teaching Children to Cope with Conflict
This DVD (48 minutes) shows examples of teachers implementing the Dina Dinosaur Classroom Social Skills and Problem-Solving Curriculum. It shows how teachers can use circle time, small group activities, and unstructured interactions to help young children learn emotional literacy skills, self-regulatory skills, problem-solving strategies, and friendship skills. It also shows teachers responding to students’ disregulated behavior with appropriate discipline so that negative interactions are not reinforced. Includes leader’s manual.
Key concepts of the program include:
- Helping children recognize and label their feelings with a particular emphasis on self-regulatory feelings such as calmness, happiness, and patience. Children are also taught to understand that feelings can change and that other people’s feelings may be different from their own.
- Building children’s repertoire of solutions to frustrating situations (being able to wait, keep trying, offer to trade or share, being able to use words to express feelings, and ignoring).
- Modeling a Dinosaur School friendship lesson plan that focuses on feeling language, importance of gentle touch, and friendship skills. Practicing ways to cope with frustration (ignoring and trading).
- Modeling, teaching, and reinforcing what it means to be gentle and friendly.
- Discipline strategies for teachers responding to disregulated behavior, such as effective strategies for handling tantrums, fights, and hitting others. These include using calm-down strategies when upset, ignoring misbehavior, natural consequences, and Time-Out for hitting.
Experts in Action: For Group Leaders using the Helping Preschool Children with Autism: Teachers and Parents as Partners Program
These videos on 2 DVDs (3 hours 18 minutes) show program developer Dr. Carolyn Webster-Stratton delivering the Incredible Years Workshop (2018) for training group leaders in the IY Parenting Program for Children (ages 2-5) on the Autism Spectrum or with Language Delays and in the IY Program for Parents and Teachers as Partners who work with children on the Autism Spectrum. In these DVDs you will see Dr. Webster-Stratton “in role” as group leader, modeling how to train parents and teachers to deliver these programs. She shows how group leaders can mediate the video vignettes with parents and teachers participating in these program, and how to set up practice role-plays.
This program will be useful for group leaders, Mentors and Trainers who are leading the IY Parent or Teacher Autism programs. In addition to IY group leaders receiving the 3-day Autism training led by accredited IY Mentors, these DVDs can be used as a self-study tool to support IY group leaders in their delivery of the programs. This program can also be used by group leaders of the Basic Parent and Incredible Beginnings Program to enhance their program delivery.